Monday, November 24, 2008

Frenchie Ain't Misbehavin' !



To put a nice cap on my "pitiful" weekend, I was invited to join
some friends at the theater Sunday night for the 30th anniversary tour of the Tony-Award-Winning musical Ain't Misbehavin' starring Ruben Studdard and Frenchie Davis of American Idol fame. While I'm not an Idol fan, we all know I'm game for anything "Frenchie", even if it's a Frenchie of a different sort.

Also featured in the Atlanta leg of the tour were the amazing pipes of Trenyce Cobbins, Patrice Covington and David Jennings. While it's undeniable that Ain't Misbehavin' isn't the most engaging of musicals, particularly due to it's lack of plot as it's really a music-driven revue (jukebox musical) rather than dialogue-driven, few things are more fun than an evening at the theater with friends (especially the beautiful Fox Theatre.) We had fun joking around about the double negative of the show title and the diminishing presence of twinkle stars in the Fox theatre's famously ciel-frescoed ceiling, presumably due to global warming which we believe is claiming its next victim in the great indoors. Let me just say that the ladies were the real standout of the evening and I swear Frenchie was channeling the late, great Nell Carter throughout, especially during her performance of "Mean To Me". *Sniffle*
Copyright © 2008 A Southern Belle Goes to Paris, y'all.
As an added bonus, I think I may have discovered the answer to the great French women vs. American women He's Just Not That Into You conundrum. While French women are ready to leave the rapscallion in the dust and move on to someone who will appreciate them, we in America hang on to the randy bastards so we can have our moment in the spotlight with an earnest torch song. How great would it be if we all had our moment in full diva glory, enormous frilly feather boa in an ungodly color, flattering lighting, a microphone and an audience ready (and willing!) to listen to us belt it out about Mr. Done Me Wrong? I guess that's what drag bars are for. In the meantime, I think I'll start working on Mr. Done Me Wrong, the musical, starring Meg, Jack, Troy, Jay and some really hideous feather boas.





2 comments:

M said...

Ha, it seems your French related posts are about as loosely 'French' as mine.

Meg said...

=) I know! Isn't it funny!?! I'll know I'm done-for when I post about French Fries or French Toast...

Locations of visitors to this page
Creative Commons License
A Southern Belle Goes to Paris, y'all. by Meg G is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.