Saturday, October 18, 2008

The Origin of Francophilia


My obsession with France began as a little girl, thanks to an elegant Grandmother who frequented Paris in the 1950's. My obsession with French Men began in my early 20's, thanks to a handsome and très charmant young Parisian man my friends refer to as "Frenchy". And my obsession with French food? From birth, I think.


Single, still a pretty-darn-young 33 and mostly without roots, I have set myself a little life-changing goal: to move to Paris when I turn (gulp) 40. Let's see how I do...will I actually go through with it? Will it be everything I've ever dreamed of? Will everyone think I'm crazy? I'm hoping the answers are yes, absolutely, and who cares?
Copyright © 2008 A Southern Belle Goes to Paris, y'all.
I'll need to take care of quite a few things before I pack up, bid adieu to my homeland and cross the pond. Namely, learn to speak French again. My school years are way behind me and I left my French there, too. So unless I plan to get by on a few sweet nothings en français or use the method of cultural immersion, I'd better get a move-on; I need to pack a lifetime of knowledge into mere years. Next stop: Alliance Française d'Atlanta.

So while I'm planning my second life as an American in Paris, I'll continue bringing a little Paris to my life here in America and I'll blog all about it!

À bientôt, y'all!

2 comments:

M said...

Hi Meg

I share a similar dream, and started blogging about it around the same time! I may only get to travel for long spells though on account of the family. While I pretend I'd like to up and leave them behind, I'd find it a bit hard to.

I've added you and plan to follow your progress.

Meg said...

Hi Michelle!

Thanks for checking out my blog! I'll definitely follow your progress as well. Who knows? Maybe we'll have a café crème in Paris one day!

I have such a small family that I can leave with no regrets but I am one of those "responsible" people who does what everyone expects of her. So, I may end up just going for really long spells as you may but I'm hoping I can push myself out of the zone of comfort and follow my dreams.

To a land where no one will want to be my friend....I must be nuts! Ahhhh.....Paris!

Locations of visitors to this page
Creative Commons License
A Southern Belle Goes to Paris, y'all. by Meg G is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.